Made 18 medium madeleines
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of golden caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon light muscovado sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and kept warm
- Icing sugar, for dusting
1. In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. With a cake mixer with a whisk attachment, mix the eggs, sugar, honey, brown sugar and vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and whisk just until combined. Add the melted butter, stirring just until incorporated. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 200°C or 180°C fan. Liberally butter and flour a madeleine tin (or use a silicone one that doesn’t need greasing). Spoon the mixture into the tins until they are about two-thirds full, using about 1 tablespoon of mixture.
4. Bake for 5 minutes at 200°C or 180°C fan, then reduce the heat to 180°C or 160°C fan, rotate the pan halfway, and continue baking until the centres rise and the edges are golden brown, about 5 – 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, invert the pan and tap it against the counter to release the madeleines. Dust with icing sugar.