This recipe makes a lovely plain loaf cake and it is the cake I used to make the Sandcastle creation for the Victorian themed Clandestine Cake Club in April 2011. For the sandcastle I made triple this recipe shared between a round and a square tin.
160g soft unsalted butter
140g golden caster sugar (plus extra for sprinkling on top before you bake it)
grated zest and juice of 1 lemon (but I’ve used orange or satsuma even when I haven’t had a lemon)
140g self-raising flour
60g plain flour
1. Grease and line a loaf tin and preheat the oven to 170C/150 fan/ gas mark 3
2. Cream the butter and sugar, add the lemon zest.
3. Add the eggs one at a time.
4. Mix in the sieved flour until just combined and then add the lemon juice. The cake batter is quite thick.
5. Pour or spoon into the tin and sprinkle sugar on the top.
6. Bake for 50 minutes to an hour until a skewer comes out clean.
7. Cool in the tin.