350g plain flour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
half teaspoon of ground ginger
175g golden caster sugar
100g stork margarine (or butter)
1 medium egg, beaten
4tbsp (1/4 cup) golden syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 180C or 160fan
2. Sieve the flour, baking powder and ground ginger into a bowl, add the sugar and margarine and rub it in until it resembles bread crumbs.
3. Add the egg and golden syrup and mix and squeeze together with your hands until the dough comes together into a smooth ball. Persevere with this as it originally appears that it will never make a dough, but it does – honestly!
4. Roll out to about 5mm thick onto a floured surface and cut out your shapes.
5. Bake for 10-15 minutes on a baking sheet covered with parchment. Remember to spread them well out.
6. Cool on a wire rack and then decorate if you like!