I am always amazed at how a small amount of ingredients (and a lot of air) can make such a huge volume of cake!
A really light and tasty cake – enjoy!
3oz golden caster sugar
3oz plain flour
1tsp baking powder
1. Preheat the oven to 160 fan. Separate the eggs and whisk the egg whites until they are stiff (I use the whisk attachment of the Kitchenaid)
2. Add the yolks one by one and keep whisking.
3. Add the sugar and keep whisking until the mixture is really light and full of air and makes a ribbon trail when the whisk is lifted out.
4. Sieve in the flour and baking powder and fold in gently with a metal spoon.
5. Spoon into 2 greased and lined 6inch sponge tins.
6. Bake for about 15 minutes until they are golden brown.
7. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Sandwich with jam or lemon curd and a whipped up 1/4 pint pot of double cream. Sprinkle with icing sugar.