125g Butter unsalted, softened
250g golden caster sugar
zest of 3 oranges and juice of one orange
4 egg yolks
75g pure cocoa powder
325g plain flour
250ml plain yogurt
1tsp Bicarbonate of soda
1tsp White Wine Vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 180.C (fan 160.C)/350.F/gas mark 4. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a large bowl, using an electric hand mixer set on medium-high speed, or a free-standing mixer.
- Once the butter and sugar mixture is pale, light and fluffy, add the egg yolks, one at a time, and beat until everything is combined.
- Sift together the cocoa powder, flour and baking powder into a separate bowl.
- Add the yogurt to the butter and sugar mixture, a third at a time, alternating with the flour.
- Add the orange juice to loosen the mixture and beat to combine.
- Mix the bicarbonate of soda with the vinegar and very quickly blend into the batter. Then, with your mixer on high, beat everything together on a high speed for about 5 minutes, until you have a smooth, glossy batter.
- Divide the mixture between the 24 muffin cases. Bake for 18–20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the cupcake centre comes out clean.
- Cool in the tins on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove the cakes and cool completely before frosting.
3 tbsp plain flour
1 pinch salt
100g milk chocolate
125g plain chocolate
200g unsalted butter, softened
300g icing sugar
zest of 2 oranges
- Put the milk, flour and salt in a small saucepan and whisk together. Put the pan on a medium heat and keep whisking until the misture boils and thickens (about 1–2 minutes after it first boils). Transfer to a small bowl and allow to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate and set aside to cool.
- Beat the butter, sugar together until fluffy. Add the cooled chocolate followed by the milk mixture and beat together until smooth, then spoon into a piping bag with a star tube.
- Pipe on to the cupcakes and decorate if you want to (I used a square of plain chocolate and a little jelly orange segment)