This month I’d been sent a huge lemon by my foodiepenpal Milli that she had grown herself in Spain. I seriously had never seen a lemon that big!
So, I decided that I really wanted to use this huge lemon for something really good!! That’s where the Improv Challenge came in. The Improv Challenge is organised every month by Kristen of Frugal Antics. The 2 ingredients that I needed to use this month was corn and butter and we were allowed to use corn in any form. I decided to make lemon and cornmeal muffins to use up the lemon. Here is the result!
Lemon and Cornmeal Breakfast Muffins
1 and half cups plain flour
half cup of cornmeal
half cup of golden caster sugar
3 tsp baking powder
half tsp salt
zest of one lemon
100g butter, melted and cooled
juice of one lemon
1. Line a muffin tin with muffin cases.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Mix all the wet ingredients together in a jug.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix gently with a wooden spoon. Do not beat, the mixture should look lumpy.
4. Split the mixture between the 10 muffin cases – I use an ice cream scoop to easily distribute the mixture.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 180CFan until they are firm to the touch and a cake tester comes out of the muffins clean.